How Do I Apply/File for Benefits?
If you are eligible for Social Security Disability, we recommend that you file for benefits as soon as possible. The initial process averages three to five months, and if your claim is denied, the appeals process may be significantly longer. If approved, benefits are paid beginning the sixth full month after you became disabled.
How do I apply for Social Security Disability benefits?
You may initially file for benefits online or at a Social Security Administration office. Your application must include the SSA’s formal SSA Disability Application and their Disability Report. You will also need the following items:
- Social Security Number
- Birth certificate
- Last year’s W-2 or Form 1040 (self-employed individuals should include supporting documents)
- Complete medical records, including contact information for all doctors, hospitals, rehab centers, and caseworkers
- Information on workers’ compensation claims filed
- 5 years of detailed work history
- Military Service discharge Form DD 214, if applicable
- A complete list of all prescribed medications
Again, the accuracy and completeness of the initial application will improve your chances of having the application approved the first time through and collecting benefits as soon as possible. The experienced disability attorneys at Charles Pitman Attorneys at Law can help you through the Social Security Disability application process; or also handle an appeal in the case of a rejected initial claim. So, contact us today by calling us toll-free at 256-533-5000, or Submit a FREE online case review form..